Wednesday, November 7, 2012

Sometimes the screw up speaks for itself..

      Yes I named my blog The Farmer's Princess. I have a few reasons why the main two reasons are: number one my daddy's a farmer, number two he treated me like a princess my whole life, so does my mama and my husband. It was more like a princess that had to work hard to get what she wanted, but I never had a problem with that because I thought that was how it was supposed to be. If you wanted something you worked for it, if you got in trouble it was taken away from you..plain and simple. My daddy is a man a few words, he fits the saying "walk quietly and carry a big stick''. My mama not so much, she makes up for all the talking he doesn't do and she does not farm. Every now and then she will help us work cattle and sheep but, it's an absolute necessity and she only opens the gate and keeps count. My mama does not cuss at all and would forgive the devil if he smiled when he asked for forgiveness. I'm definitely 95% Smith and mama will waste no time telling you, I'm my daddy's clone. I walk, talk, drive, and cuss just like him, but we do spend more time with each other than with anyone else so that could be the reason. On here I'll get to tell a few of our stories and what all we've got into.
      I put up a facebook status the other day about how hard we are on equipment, really it was more about how hard daddy is on a equipment. We have two trucks the newer red dodge that is what we use for everything but feeding and running around in the farm on. Then we have the white dodge which we feed out of and run around on the farm in. The white truck was totaled a few years ago, by daddy, I'll put some pictures up at some point because it is quite the sight.  We were sowing seeds the other day, a little late in the year I know, and I was cutipacking while he went to the house for more seeds. Daddy does not drive much, he says it's because he's getting older and can't hear or see, but we all know he just doesn't pay attention to what he's doing. He was gone maybe a total of ten minutes and came back with the tailgate barely hanging on. He puts it in reverse and slams into a tree, never stops to look how much damage is done and comes back to the field and goes to work.  So now we have no tailgate..
     Since I'm telling stories on him I guess I better tell one on myself. When I tear something up, the smaller it is the more I get chewed out over it. I left the key on in a tractor and ran the battery down one day, all we had to do was jump it off, but it was the worst thing I could have done. One of my most expensive "break downs"  was when we came in from the hay field one day. It was hot and we were going to stop for just a minute to get a drink then go back to work. I pulled into the shop, put on the hand break. When we came out of the house the tractor and hay roller were at the bottom of the hill. In a few minutes I managed to almost total a hay roller, and it was a miracle the tractor was ok. Daddy never said a word though, he just started taking parts off to see what could be fixed and what couldn't. We ran that hay roller for a long time, when he finally bought a new one it took two years to get use to using a monitor instead of turning around and actually watching the hay bale. The lesson I learned that day was there's a time to tell someone when they're wrong and then there are times when the screw up speaks for itself.
    


 *On a side note a cultipack is a piece of equipment that levels and smooths out the ground before you sow the seeds and it covers them after they've been sowed.

No comments:

Post a Comment