Thursday, January 17, 2013

Miracles come in all shapes and sizes, today one showed up in a very small baby lamb.

     First off I believe in God, I have a strong faith, and most importantly I believe in miracles. The smallest miracle could be huge in someone else's eyes, they're all around us we just have to watch for them. As you can tell by the picture we have sheep, some days it feels like we have 5,000 and then other days it seems like there aren't enough. They love to stay in the hay barn on these cold windy days, as much as it sounds like a good idea it's not. They have plenty of other barns and places to go to stay out of the bad weather, but of course they have to be where you don't want them. The hay barn is a very tricky place especially when it's not full of hay. The lambs and even some of the younger sheep like to climb up the hay and run around, this is their form of mountains I guess, all the older ones want to do is eat it and get warm. Usually some one goes up and feeds the sheep dogs and checks through the barn to make sure there are no problems but, the last couple of days I knew the dogs were well taken care of so I slacked off. Nothing good ever comes from slacking off by the way. After dinner I got the dog food and went up there, while I was feeding I heard a lamb blat. I could tell by the sound something was wrong, so as I go around the corner there is one of the smallest lambs we've had just standing there. She's only a day or two old and looked like she hadn't eaten in several hours, when I went to pick her up I just happened to see a white nose stick up between two round bales of hay. The way it's been fed out of the barn and stacked it's sort of like a maze, so I crawled in there and there was a mama, two babies, and big ram. They had no way of getting out, the bales are 6 feet wide and 5 foot tall, I called daddy to bring the tractor and move some of the hay. I managed to pull the lambs out, but the sheep were to heavy, while I'm waiting on daddy to come I hear a noise a few feet over. Of course I thought it was a snake or a rat, but when the hay moved again I ran my hand down in the hole and felt another sheep. She had crawled in the gap between some hay bales, and was pinned in there when another fell.  Daddy had to be very careful picking up the hay bales so they wouldn't fall down in the holes and crush them. The more we moved the more little ears and noses were showing up. When it was all said and done we had four sheep and about ten lambs that we pulled out, thankfully they were all ok just very thirsty.
     If it hadn't been for this one small orphaned lamb there would have been no chance of us finding those sheep. I wasn't able to find the lambs mama, I have no idea how she made it this long without milk, but I do know that she was a hero today. I brought her home, made her a bottle and she's sound asleep now.  Most lambs like the one today will follow the sheep around blating until they get tired or found, but this one stayed in the barn, you can call it a coincidence but I won't. Miracles come in all shapes and sizes, today one showed up in a very small one or two pound hungry baby lamb. God is good.

No comments:

Post a Comment